Kirby Broadnax has years of experience as a mediator, conflict coach, community-builder and facilitator. She has her Masters degree in Conflict Transformation — which is a field of study similar to Conflict Resolution, but is a bit more all-encompassing and holistic in solving the issues at hand.
Kirby is one of my dearest friends, we go way back, and over the years she has opened my eyes on many occasions by sharing her experiences as a black woman in America. It sounds trite to say, but she truly is wise beyond her years. She’s had an enormous impact on my life.
The first part of this conversation focuses on the scope of Conflict Transformation and how she was drawn to that field of study and work. We discuss appreciative inquiry and creative ways to address conflict, AND generating excitement around things that are possible. The second part of the conversation is a discussion more specifically around this moment we’re living in, in the aftermath of George Floyd’s death and how we can make a difference on an individual level, as well as the difference between intention and impact.
You can follow Kirby on Instagram @kevab325.
RESOURCES (thanks to Kirby!):
Tips for how to have conversations about racism, and also gives good guidelines for difficult conversations in general:
A+F George Floyd Uprisings Collaborative Resources List: https://docs.google.com/document/d/1PCei7GtQQnnnID9D5AguUTTwj_VAvNtgqXlPzSngIZg/edit?usp=sharing
Donations (monetary, and supplies): https://docs.google.com/document/d/1MBb0zD1Q35pugvhbmj-Ao8LKd9KsZe0QRqAEWBiMMKs/edit?usp=sharing
- Emergent Strategy – Adrienne Maree Brown
- I’ve Got the Light of Freedom – Charles Payne
- Hope & Healing in Urban Education – Shawn Ginwright
- Little Book of Race & Restorative Justice – Fania Davis
- Are Prisons Obsolete? – Angela Davis
- Sacred Instructions: Indigenous Wisdom for Living Spirit-based change — Sherri Mitchell
- Beyond Survival: Stories and Strategies from the Transformative Justice Movement — edited by Ejeris Dixon and Leah Lakshmi Piepzna Samarasinha
To follow this podcast on Instagram: @keepitquirkypodcast, and to follow the host Katie Quinn: @qkatie.
Subscribe to Katie’s monthly email newsletter: http://eepurl.com/dNtAx2
Thanks to musician @bqfunk for the podcast theme song!